From: Scott Bearden <scott.bear...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB] RE: Bamboo Fly rods
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 12:09 AM

Wayne,
Quad rods are a little more difficult to make. The strips have to be wider and
are therefore a little harder to straighten with heat. Another consideration is
how to handle the ferrules. Most ferrules sold come round and have 6 slits
to accommodate hex rods. You could use one size larger ferrules and build up
the ferrule station a little thicker and then turn that round. Or some
rodmakers buy the ferrules without the slits cut and swage them square and cut
the slits themselves. There are lots of cons to making them, which is one
reason you see less of them on the market. The edges also tend to fray and
split easier and so you might wind up with glue lines no matter how well you do
planing it out. I know they don't bind very well in a Garrison style binder
which will bang those sharp edges a lot more than a hex.

As far as fishing them, quads tend to be stiffer and track straighter. But all
things being equal it really comes down to the taper. Tony made a sweet little
4 wt quad that I thought cast a little better with a 3wt SA mastery line. I
still don't remember what taper he used, but it was sweeeeet.

Scott

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Wayne Blake-Hedges <wayneb22...@yahoo.com>