Even better:
Bead Nabber Tweezers - Regular (photo) Ea $14.95 Bead Nabber Tweezers - Small * NEW * Ea $14.95

From our original sponsor:
        http://www.linesend.com/product/tools.shtml

a.

Tom, good tip on the pliers, I put a little dubbing wax on mine,seems to help hold the bead better. zdo the same with your finger if pliers are not available. Jim

--- On Thu, 1/20/11, Tom Davenport <t...@comcast.net> wrote:

From: Tom Davenport <t...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VFB] RE: Pheasant tail nymph-your variations and/or tips
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 10:10 AM

I use Spirit River beads and just size them to the hook. I have an assortment from their smallest to largest and they are all out of the packages so I can't give you the dimensions, but it becomes pretty obvious when you put it on. Using a pair of fine tipped tweezers makes putting on the beads much easier.

On the smaller flies I only use one peacock herl, in fact I actually "size" them by stroking down the barbels. Not all herls are created equal, some are much bushier than others. Again, it becomes pretty obvious when tying. The weakness of this fly is the peacock, and it is the first thing to come unraveled when fishing. Sometimes I spin the thread and herl together before wrapping, it makes it more bomb proof but it doesn't look as nice.

In larger sizes I might use two herls together. A variation I make when tying the PT "callibaetis" style is to dub a lighter body with dubbing, then lash the PT onto the back of the fly to make a two color abdomen, then I lift it up the tail end, put in the herl thorax, and use the remainder of the PT for a wing case. Another variation is to tie in a bit of crystal mylar tinsel before tying in the herl, then use that for a flashback wingcase.

But the truth is the basic BHPT catches as many as the other styles.

Tom Davenport