Ashley
Whiting Farms is in the business for creating feathers for fly tyers but
this is also very good revenue for the farm.   I'm so happy to see them
keeping busy because I saw a couple of my favorite fly shops go out of
business.  I think Tom is right when he said the fly shops are also selling
their feathers on Ebay.  I've seen a lot of them list their feathers for
extensions and tying so you know who they are trying to market to.   Even if
they weren't though the hair stylists are pretty savy.  I've had several of
them contact me through email trying to get me to sell them my feathers.
They have to be getting my name and email off the Whiting website.  Some of
them are pretty aggressive.  I guess they're getting even with me for my
raids on Sally Beauty supplies.  They have some pretty great things to use
in fly tying also.  I read the post about the hackles and as I see it
Whiting is always going to have a market with the fashion industry and
higher end crafters.  I've seen a significant improvement in their Euro
Hackles and the colors they are making available so I think it has also been
a benefit to me.  I've been asked to put together a few hair extensions for
my neighbors daughter and a friend of hers because even they can't really
afford the prices they're being charged.  The major market is young girls.
So I just tied up four of them tonight for the girls and swore them to
secrecy because I'm not interested in making them for anyone else.  I also
got the chance to introduce them to the real thing tied into flies.  They
were amazed so hopefully it left an impression on them.  I told them when
they were ready they could come back for a fly tying lesson.  LOL.  They
looked at my Maine Streamers and decided they would make beautiful
earrings.  Of course the most savy of us fly tyers have already figured that
one out.  I see them sold at fly shows more often than not.
I'm sure the fad will pass.  Anyone wishing to sell their hackles will make
a bundle but a good reason not to do that is that the supply and demand is
very high and you may get rich but you will have a lot of competition when
you try to replace them.  I think the fad will pass and the demand will ease
up a little and we will most likely see a good supply in the future.
Whiting is making adjustments for it, it just takes time.    We can all
blame Chris Reeves and Joe Cordiero for wearing hackles in their hair at the
flyshows.   LOL....  It's their fault not Dr. Toms.   Heee Heee.  I'm just
having fun with this.   I think it's a great way to store my hackles for
stream side fly fixes.   I am kidding....  I'm not wearing feathers in my
hair.  Just don't let your wives see you crimping hackles in your hair.
Deb