Hi Joyce,

One old-timey friend gave us this tip, and it works great for ripening
green tomatoes.  Just take three or four full sheets of newspaper, black
and white version, and wrap a half dozen green tomatoes inside them like
you are filling a Tootsie roll wrapper.  Then just twist and seal both ends.

Put the tomatoes in a dark cabinet at room temperature, and about a couple
weeks later, you will have yummy red ones.  Something about the process
keeps the green tomatoes from going soft and rotten.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon