I guess if you get caught here in Arkansas that is when it is illegal.
As for big fish on a 4 wt. I have one of the first blanks made by Global Dorber
to feel like bamboo. It is a Graphite rod made from Ultra Weave cloth. It is an
experimental blank and it is a bit soft. A few years ago when I was fishing
about every day I fished Crooked Creek a lot for Smallmouths. This one season,
was Carp season for some reason.
I was not fishing for them. I hooked seven Carp that season but never landed a
one. My fishing partner managed to grab one just ahead of the tail but could
not hold on to it. All except one was hooked on a Chili Pepper. One that was
hooked on a sz 12 fly that was tied on a Scud Hook, straightened out the hook.
The others broke my 5X tippet. Like the guy you mentioned, I went down the
creek trying to get it to where I could land it. Yes it was a thrill. Over the
years, I have hooked into other Carp and all have broken off.
Tony