Whether or not the sport of fly fishing is in trouble I am not sure. Certainly
you do not see the younger people getting into it. Our local TU chapter is very
active and we do alot of things. However when you look at the core group , it
is primarily retired members, with just a couple of younger members who are
really active. But when I go fishing there is no lack of fisherman out there. I
spend alot of the spring fishing the Delaware river system. Over the years
there is more and more people fishing, and spots That I used to have myself,
well no longer. There are many times when we can't even get a spot on our "home
pool ". And over the last 20 odd years or so, fishing out west  the same thing
has occured. There used to be 3 fly shops in West Yellowstone. Now ther are 5,
and when you go in there is always people in them.  I donot  even go into the
park to fish anymore during the normal summer season, you can't find a spot to
fish. Go to any of the known rivers in Montana, and there are people all over.
You have to hike or backpack and seek out the unknown, smaller streams to be
alone. So as I said I am not sure of the future of fly fishing. I am seeing
younger people fishing, and seeing more women fly fishing also..

Ron B