On 02/16/2018 11:29 AM, John Koelndorfer wrote:

There was a patchset released for qemu that greatly improves the emulated
audio device sound quality. It helps with the frequent popping you'd hear
with vanilla qemu. See this thread on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/74vokw/improved_pulse_audio_driver_for_qemu/

It's not upstreamed so you will need to apply it yourself. Alternatively if
you are using Arch Linux, there's a package on the AUR with the patches
already applied:https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qemu-patched/. I have
been using it for some time without issue.

In my configuration I use an emulated Intel HDA device with output to
pulseaudio.
I am using a cmedia USB audio device not emulated sound (this is a server without any video/audio packages on the host), but thanks for the info.