The VM will start, one core will be at 100%, but no display from the HDMI.
There is zero disk I/O happening.

The process goes like this: boot the odroid, get odroid splash screen,
linux bootloader visible on screen starts linux, display then says
"Starting version 246.1-1-arch" then no more output on monitor.  When I
start the VM from ssh, the screen goes blank and the monitor says "connect
cable".

In the QEMU ssh session I tell it to boot the ISO, it gets to the point
where it selects the install option but then nothing happens and the VM
just sits, burning a core at 100%.