On recent qemu I switched to emulated usb audio. It works much better
than other options I tried (hda, ac97, scream):
qemu ... -device usb-audio,audiodev=myaudio \
 -audiodev
id=myaudio,driver=pa,out.fixed-settings=on,out.frequency=44100,out.channels=2,timer-period=3000
I also use MSI for my nvidia graphics, which helps a lot in games, but
might be irrelevant to audio crackle improvements I've got with usb
audio.