On Mon, 17 May 2021 02:13:54 +0500
Roman Mamedov <r...@romanrm.net> wrote:

> the nVIDIA driver presents no SLI option... because the GPUs are detected as
> connected either via PCI, or via "PCIe x0", and the driver also has a
> requirement for certain PCIe link width on both GPUs to unlock the SLI
> options

This appears to be the right guess. After presenting both GPUs as connected to
PCIe, the SLI options have appeared [1]. However the only way to get this
without the "Code 12" error was to use this weird topology:

-device pcie-root-port,id=gpu,bus=pcie.0,chassis=0,slot=0
-device
vfio-pci,host=08:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,bus=gpu,addr=0x00.0,romfile=vbios.rom
-device vfio-pci,host=09:00.0,bus=gpu,addr=0x00.1,romfile=vbios.rom

And after clicking Apply in that SLI control panel window, I just lose display
output ("No Signal"), and after a reboot both GPUs show the "Code 43" error
(unrelated to the usual passthrough detection).

I guess the driver didn't account for both GPUs being one multifunction device.

[1] https://romanrm.hk/2021-05-18T205357Z-sli1.png

--
With respect,
Roman