On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:57:37 +1100
Ivan Volosyuk <ivan.volos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there something special about the pinning step? When I start a new
> VM with 16G in dedicated hugepages my system becomes quite
> unresponsive for several seconds, significant packet loss and random
> hang device oopses if I use preemptive kernel?

Pinning in blocking in the ioctl, but this should only affect the QEMU
process, not other host tasks, there are various schedule calls to
prevent this.  A 16GB, hugepage VM certainly shouldn't cause such
problems.  Are you sure the VM is really using pre-allocated hugepages?
This sounds more like a host system that's being forced to swap to
accommodate the VM page pinning.  Thanks,

Alex