I'm highly confident that I use preallocated hugetlb pages and I have
most of ram free on 64GB system. The problem appears only with:
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages
8192
$ cat /proc/meminfo
..
HugePages_Total:    8192
HugePages_Free:        0
$ mount |grep huge
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)

# Allow realtime tasks to monopolize CPU
echo -1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us

qemu realtime priority:
chrt -r 5 /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -overcommit mem-lock=on
-mem-path /dev/hugepages/qemu-mem [allow use 10 of 16 cpu threads]
i9900ks + rtx 2080ti + 64GB ram