A couple things about rel="payment"

The payment URL can be *anything*.
It could link to a Cafe Press store, your paypal page, an HTML page
with your address so people can mail you a check, a page that links to
books or DVDs through an Amazon Affilliate program, a URL formatted
with a GET query so you can track the click through and record which
blog entries bring in the cash, a link to a page where you can donate
to a particular cause, campaign, or charity.

This is entirely up to the author. It is completely open and flexible.
And its fucking simple.

Also note that rel="payment" does not entail any restrictions on
access to content. You can't use rel="payment" to force someone to pay
you first before being able to download something. rel="payment" is an
after the fact payment -- it is an optional transaction between viewer
and creator.

Some people would be happy to pay for content they enjoy or wish to
support. Why not make it possible for them to do so?

I think this is a good step for videoblogs, podcasts, and blogs in
general, and would pave the way for a much needed XML namespace
extension for RSS. Plus, if users are already adding rel="payment" it
will be dirt simple for blog software developers to implement this XML
namespace as a plugin once that spec is fleshed out and agreed upon by
the community at large.

Rock,
Josh