On 8/4/05, Steve Garfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "An Internet commercial typically costs about $15 to $20 for each 1,000
> viewers, nearly as much as broadcast networks charge. The price is high
> because there is more demand from advertisers than there is Internet
> video programming available."

Hey all,

Steve, I am waiting for the moment when your vlogs all have a
sponsor/ad at the end. At least your more external vlogs; the vlogs
where you interview people for Rocketboom, or do other things.
Personally I won't mind at all, I will just cut off the video when the
ad appears. But some people won't do that, and the advertiser will
indeed be reaching a public. A very targetted advertisement. You, as a
'content producer', will be receiving some funds from the advertisers
that you can use to pay your bills, do fun things, and help others
start videoblogging.

The innocense of the vlogosphere will soon pass. There will be so much
money being dropped into this scene that the podcasting hype of today
will seem like peanuts. The big players will get their eyes opened and
they will do their thing.

Somebody Will be writing the first book about vlogging (isn't IDG
working on it already behind the scene?), there will be a "Vlogging
for Dummies" book before the end of this year or perhaps early 06, and
there will be all kinds of tutorials out there. The good thing, for
me, is that FreeVlog is as ambitious as it is, and because of the
early 'market penetration' of Michael Verdi and Ryanne Hodson with
this project, I think that Freevlog also in the future will be one of
the most linked-to tutorials to videoblogging. I love the ethos of
Michael Verdi and Ryanne Hodson, and I hope that when the money comes
(because it Will) that they will not lose the questions.

I listened to/saw a recent interview with Joshua Kinberg about FireANT
and he had some good thinking about how FireANT should be able to
compete with the big ones. I think that is true, but FireANT then also
needs to have an advertising campaign soon if they want to compete
with all those new aggregators that are popping up. Or, perhaps they
Don't need an advertising campaign (which, to me, is a great idea).

Personally I think FireANT will be offered a lot of money from Yahoo!
or some other company before long, and FireANT will, like Ludicorp, be
a part of the Yahoo! network (we are, after all, also on this
videoblogging yahoogroups). That is, unless FireANT comes up with a
business plan of it's own, or get some heavy VC funding. We all know
Joshua wants to work on this full time - Josh, did you quit your day
job yet? (I am not quite updated on that situation).

We got to stop fooling ourselves. There is money in the personal media
revolution. There is money in Every revolution. What is happening
right now is that we are approaching the tipping point (stupid term, I
know, but I like to use fad phrases like 'the long tail') when making
and distributing media becomes something almost everyone can do. There
is big money in this, and some of us on this list are and will be "big
players" in this new world.

Now, there is nothing wrong with money. There is nothing wrong with
advertisement, PER SE. What is wrong is when those of us who are on
the top get scared. Get protectionistic. When we have our 'turf' and
then want to protect that turf because, Hey!, it's ours, right? When
we decide that oi, perhaps the CC license isn't good enough for us
when someone re-vlogs your content but strips away the ad at the end.

Some of us vloggers will make big money on doing this. Some people
will make zillions on offering personalized consultancy for companies
that want to jack into the next big thing (and we all know vlogging IS
the next big thing, regardless of the millions of people who prefer to
listen to the radio/podcast while on the road)

So what I Hope happens is that even when the innocence is gone, we can
play along. Play nice, and do business without suddenly going
'Business is business' and becoming all cynical.

We must remember that the big corporations of tomorrow are small
today. I can surely envision node101 as a big organization.

There is also another side of the story: The individual vloggers. Just
like with VlogEurope (the first European vlogging
meetup/convention/whateveryouwanttocallit which takes place in
September in Amsterdam), there is two sides to the story. The one is
the market, bringing vlogging to the masses, telling people that They
can broadcast their lives, express themselves, interview their dogs
and put it online for the world to see. The other is the community -
us. The communities that are blooming. These communities will
sometimes go through major earthquakes, and emotions will be spilled
all over. Someone will have decided to take all their vlog content
into a walled garden or behind some pay-per-view wall. Others will
feel X is selling out. Mixed motivations.

Let us remember that we all have good intentions. Also, let us not
close our eyes to what is going on.

Best regards,

Raymond M. Kristiansen
http://dltq.org