Regular NTSC TV is more like 720x480, and most videoblogs are using
half the framerate of TV too. 320x480 is more like NTSC VHS or VCD,
lower quality than whats broadcast onto TV sets.

Then theres the parts of the world that use PAL, which is 720x576.

Anyway there really is no magic answer to what the computer equivalent
of full screen TV quality is. I think though its safe to assume that
to most people, it would be a minimum of 640x480. I can watch 320x240
video fullscreen and it is endurable, but not desirable, Ive said
before that Id be willing to pay to get a 720x version of rocketboom.

Framerate has wider differences of opinion, when I ve talked about it
here in the past Ive been in the minority view the view that a minimum
of 25fps should be the norm, not 15fps that people are often using for
videoblogs.

Of course TV is now moving towards high definition, as will DVD in the
near future. But right now I guess that humans are mostly exposed to
video content on TV, Digital TV, DVD, that is 720x576 25fps or 720x480
29.97fps depending on where they live.  So if you aim to be a
comparable experience to TV, thats what I consider the minimum to aim
for is.

On the otherhand the fact that humans have a long history of
tolerating much lower resolution video on videotapes, VCDs (very
popular in in many eastern countries), badly tuned TVs, and all of
those millions of various tiny videos on the net that have been around
for years (of people having accidents etc), means something. It means
that people will tollerate all sorts of hideous quality issues in the
video they are watching, if the video is compelling enough that they
are actually enjoying the experience of watching it.

Oh Im waffling, what a surprise. Anyway although Im a high res fan
because I like stuff to look great, I am not suggesting that all
vieoblogs should be high res. It could cause bandwidth issues,
encoding time issues, deinterlacing issues, which are probably not
worth many videobloggers struggling against too much, or at least
until the struggle is made easier by more useful software tools and
guides. What Im looking forward to is the day when there is at least
'some' 720xWhatever video out there. Right now there are just a very
small handful of examples. Id guess it may be the 'themed show' type
of videoblogs which it initially makes the most sense to do in
full-res. If more small mpeg4 recording cameras etc take off bigtime
and the all use 320x240 type resolutions, will the higher res ever
become appropriate for what I will label 'personal videobloggers'?

What resolution will any video iPod that may come to exist be?

On a related note, it was announced the other day that my broadband
provider in the UK, NTL, is upgrading the speed of all its cablemodem
broadband customers from 3M to 10M

Now Ive had a cablemodem service from them since I guess 2001, and its
gradually gone from 512k to 3M, now its going to go to 10M by the end
of the year. This is a silly speed, and there is a chronic lack of
things on the internet that really need such speed. Its the sort of
speed that I think is similar to maximum DVD bitrate, meaning that
theoretically DVD quality video-on-demand could be streamed in
realtime. So anyways I recognise the vast majority of earths
inhabitants wont get such speeds of net connection now or maybe ever,
who knows, but millions are getting them and need some compelling
services to make good use of them. The big giants are still slightly
behind the times, as with the rest of videoblogging and VOD/IPTV,
there is a lag that creates an opportunity for new players to get in
there and make something in the new territory whilst giants are still
at the drawingboard.

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Charles HOPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>The introductory paragraph before the press release, which allegedly
>made it palatable for vloggers, asked for "FULL SCREEN, TV-QUALITY"
>video. I wonder what that means. Regular TV is 330 x 480. Standard QT
>is 320 x 240.  Are we in the big leagues yet or do we have to add a
bit >more resolution to get there?