Adrian,
I am not sure that I would put myself in the camp of those whose broad
definition of blog would include all websites, but as I mentioned previously
some do. Although I will say I have heard that point made rather
convincingly. For instance, I don't think most would consider television
station website as blogs, but they do seem to meet all of the requirements
(that I am aware of).

I am not familiar with your university's website, but if BoingBoing: a
directory of wonderful things is considered a blog, then why not Google: a
self-styled directory of all things? Afterall the search function is not
unlike combing the archives of a blog -- one puts in a search term and is
rewarded with a list of matching posts. In fact, it is almost as if Google
is a more interactive version of a blog - it only ever gives you content
tailored to what you ask for. There are many blogs that link offsite, so
that alone shouldn't disqualify it. And surely a splash page is okay. And
the fact that people purposefully alter meta tags, font sizes, and other
qualities of their sites to get submitted to search engines makes it almost
like a really, really large group blog with tons of contributors.

If I were asked, I wouldn't classify Google as a blog. Though I am not sure
that I could give a convincing reason why. It's sort of like art. You can't
describe it, but you know it when you see it. Though I'd definitely be
interested in hearing why you think it isn't a blog, I suspect you've
thought about this more than I have and will be able to put to words what I
cannot.

That being said, we still haven't defined what a blog is, only examples of
what it might not be. Are there any good, widely accepted definitions out
there you can point us to? Because even if search engines are taken out of
the mix, that still leaves us with a lot of websites.

Thanks!
-David