> Now all you have to do is define what a blog is.
> Some would argue it is just another name for website.
>
> -David

I wouldn't be one of those people.

I started building websites in 1998. I started building blogs in 2002.
There's a big difference between the way a static html-based site works
and blogging technology (using some sort of third party software that
creates pages for you and automatically archives, moving older content
off the home page without being asked.)

To me, the revolutionary thing about the invention of the blog is in
the ease of the technology -- making it so very much easier to keep a
site always changing, always current -- especially for those of us
who've always built sites as a one-person team (not a huge site with a
staff / with programmers there to write custom backend aps).... Of
course it's always been technologically possible to update a website
often using static html, but the human-power-reality of the amount of
time it took to constantly post new pages by hand meant it didn't
happen nearly as much as I wanted. I would have never dreamed seven
years ago of updating as often as I do now, or of running as many sites
as I do now, or of those sites being as large and as complicated as
they are now. In the past, I was always stuck being the only person who
had the tech-know-how to make any changes. Now I can build a blog into
my client's page, teach them the interface, and let them be responsible
for all the news and announcements -- leave me out of it!

Blogs were definitely invented much later than html. And the invention
has changed the way websites are made, and made it possible for many
more people to be building websites.

Now we just need the same kind of easy-of-use revolution for
videoblogging...

A blog is a kind of website, but not all websites are blogs. Just as
the web is part of the internet, but just one part -- there's a lot
going on (and has been for 40 years) on the internet, that has nothing
to do with the wide world web (which is just over 10 years old).