In the modern usage (being descriptive and not prescriptive), blogness includes rss and trackback pings because they are notable features  exhibited by the overwhelming majority of blogs, and lacked by most things that aren't called blogs.

My blog, which certainly was/is one, didn't have RSS on it until I discovered videoblogging...never saw the point until now.

I would describe blogs as Point of View websites that are updated frequently.  That's just my definition: I don't really consider BoingBoing or other directory sites blogs, but I know a lot of people do, and yeah RobotWisdom was pretty much a proto-BoingBoing...

---------

Brett Gaylor

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.etherworks.ca