I have relatives, hopefully still alive, in New Orleans. I was born there (as was my father, my grandmother, and several generations of relatives before her), but have not been back there in 30 years. I will now never be able to go back to the city as it was.

Is that close enough to home for me to care about this news?

And, FWIW, I anxiously watched the tsunami for news of fellow alumni of the school I attended who might well have been affected. One family, Indians on vacation in Sri Lanka, was actually caught in it and separated from each other. Fortunately, they all found each other again after several days of searching hospitals, and none were seriously hurt.

The world is very small. There is no point in weighing who has the bigger tragedy. We are all affected.

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.straughan.com (personal)