around the 6/9/05 Jay dedman mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
Gov't always wins the election that:
>maybe this is a differnce between US and Danish news.
>US news has become almost completely unbelievable.
>i believe that videoblogging/first-hand reports lend credibility.
>people can play with reality (Nathan's "Modern Single Dad")...but for
>the most part, i see most videoblogs as being extremely open,
>sensitive, and believable.
>funny you brought of the example of  media during the American
>revolution..."Common Sense" by Thomas Paine was one of the most
>influential citizen journalism who handed out basically a Zine.
>It told the truth that traditional media wasnt/couldnt do.

yes, this discussion is confusing US *tv* news which is generally
intensely inward looking and quite shallow as all news. It isn't.
Here I watch an international orientated news at 6.30, then another
one at 9.30, and if i want sustained current affairs I have late
night live on radio from 10pm (people like Chomsky regular guests) or
Lateline on national TV (who have similar regular guests satellited
in from around the world). it isn't better, it is different.

Also generalisations don't work. The New York Times is still a
qualilty broadsheet, those who want and seek deeper information can,
and do, just because TV has had to evolve to a banal common
denominator it doesn't mean all media.

Finally, I'm a member of the KKK and I videoblog things that
represent my political views. I call myself a citizen journalist,
since videoblogging is pure citizen journalism (being a member of the
KKK, any argument about purity appeals), can anyone explain to me how
this is *better* journalism than that practiced by someone at least
trained in some professional practice, a code of ethics, who (even
though it is dumb) at least thinks stories have 'two' sides?
--
cheers
Adrian Miles

hypertext.RMIT