Here are my findings regarding bitrates and other 3ivx modes:

'Single Pass - Average Bitrate'

Very similar results to the 'constant bitrate' mode that I discussed
discussed previously.

'Single Pass - Constant Quality'

3ivx itself warns that this mode can cause unpredictable filesizes, as
it adjusts bitrate as needed for complex scenes. Bitrate settings seem
to be ignored, so framerate, resolution and the Quantizer Parameter
setting are what you have to mess with to get desired bitrate in this
mode.

Dual Pass mode on Tiger has broken bitrate control, as we know
already. Im sure by trying various different settings and resolutions
it is possible to get different bitrates, and hence filesizes, out of
dual-pass mode. But the bitrate control is quite important for this
mode, so this bug is still a problem. Right now with Tiger, I assume
that even if you find the right combination of settings in dual-pass
to get just the right sized video, you'l get a differnt size with the
next video you try to encode, because the entire point of dual-pass is
so it can analyse the contents of the video to see where bits are
needed most.

Short version: Andrews settings work, use single-pass till the bug is
fixed if you are on Tiger. If you get larger files than you want then
change the number in the bitrate box to 600 or 500 or smaller,
otherwise just leave it at the default 6400.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows