Today I spent a little while experimenting with MPEG-4 settings.
Because some people prefer MPEG4 to QuickTime, I've been hoping to do
more of my video in mp4, but I've never been pleased with the default
settings.

So, I thought I'd ask the wise people on this list for some advice or
pointers for MPEG-4 compression settings for publishing a video for
display on Ourmedia. (And, yes, I know all about Michael Verdi's PDF
primer on Video compression with 3iv ...
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/42835).

(1) The application.

I generally edit video on my Mac (OS 10.3.9) with imovie HD 5.0.2. I
also have a Sony Vaio desktop PC. So I'm open to using a different
application (I have Final Cut Pro, for eg, but haven't had time to
learn it), if that would be advisable. But I think I'm probably fine
with what I've got.

(2) The settings.

When I choose Share (to encode the video), under Options/MP4 Export
settings, I see ...

Video:
On a hunch, I chose MPEG-4 Improved (rather than MPEG-4 Basic)
Data rata 256 kbps (this was pre-entered)
Image Size: 320x240 QVGA
Frame rate: 12 (i use 15 when there's more movement in the video)
Key frame: every 75 frames (used this from a prior tutorial from Ryan)

Audio:
Audio format: AAC-LC (Music) (that's the only choice given for MPEG-4 Improved)