No its probably a hardware thing too. Processor in current iPods
probably hugely inadequate to decode mpeg4, let alone h264. Could be
other bottlenecks, but I dont know, eg display controller.

Video ipod will need more powerful processor, or extra chips that can
decode video and not use allt he CPUs power.

Ots possible that they could have started including suitable hardware
in recent models, but I doubt it.

The Sony PSP has probably set the bar in terms of screen size, even if
Apple dont go for widescreen I doubt any much-marketed video ipod will
have a screen as small as current ipods, I mean its currently smaller
than a lot of recent mobile phone screens.

Steve of Elbows