Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:15:00 +0200, Jay dedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>but Im old...32...and in the oldtime days, we just sat and watched
>>long streams of uninterrrupted video...and this is a throwback to that
>>time.
>
> Exactly! :o)
> It's all about the difference between online media and offline media.
> Videoblogs are online media with all that entails of granularity and such.
> That why I reacted when you took a collection of online media and
> assembled a piece of offline media (a video for a projector, basically
> tv). That's fine as long as you realise that in the process you loose
> everything that makes the online media different - you're devaluating the
> videoblog by transforming it into tv.

I don't mind at all that Jay did this, as I know that the reason was to
promote videoblogging, and I'm guessing it was made pretty clear that
all of the material came from people videoblogging online. If that gets
people interested and makes some of them look into videoblogging, then
it's a good thing.

But then you throw your
 > tv-compilation back online without changing a thing. It's just offline
 > media put online now - it *was* online media, but now it's *offline*
media
 > put on the web. For all the talk about 'new media' on this list it's
a sad
 > thing to happen.

Again, I trust Jay and don't think he was trying to do any harm here. I
think this discussion is valuable - can we come up with some alternative
ways of doing what was done? Playlists for FireANT? SMIL files and
QuickTime Player? ???

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/