OK so after I have the best quality DVD image "burned", I launch
Handbrake,

1. chose the image,
2. then Destination File Format MP4 file, Codecs MPEG-4 Video/AAC
Audio, Browse button to the destination folder and name the movie I'm
about to rip "xyz.mp4".
3. Click on Picture Settings... button and reduce the size to 320 x
240 also might trim if there is extra wasted dimension. I only know
of HandBreak allowing this capability.
4. Close Picture Settings dialog box
5. Audio sample rate change to 24000 Hz bitrate change to 64 kbps.
Leave languages as they are.
6. Video change Framerate to 10 fps, encoder is FFmpeg, Change radial
to Target size to 1 mb per minute of footage. Length is above in the
Title popup so set the amount accordingly. Leave constant quality at
50%. Make sure "2-pass encoding" is checked.
7. Press "Rip" and it will be done in a few minutes.

That's all there is to it. I am using the target size to determine my
bit rate instead of vice versa. So far they look great at one MB a
minute. I couldn't figure out how to do FFmpeg encoding any other way
- especially two pass encoding.
--
Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Webcaster, Futurecaster