On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:44:30 +0200, Deirdre Straughan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not having a Mac, I don't have good free tools available for QuickTime
> editing - I even paid for QuickTime Pro, and did not find it particularly
> transparent or powerful, nor is the compression good - 12 mb for a 90
> second
> file! Nearly 5 for a 30-second file with no audio. Maybe I'm doing
> something
> wrong, but I don't have time to wrestle with it.

I'm on a Windows/QT Pro combo and I'm loving it. :o)
I can edit at a reasonable speed, and compress to something like 1.4
MB/min with 3ivx. Unlike Movie Maker where I can only export using the
presets so I end up with the 512kb option (around 4MB/min). QT Pro does
take a little time the first time you set up the settings you want to use
though.

> If Apple wants to encourage video
> "podcasting" or whatever they want to call it, they will have to be less
> snobbish about formats.

Steve already said something, but I have a slightly different take. As far
as I know Apple has "told" anyone that iTunes can be used for video
podcasts. It's just something that "happens to work" (or only took two
minutes to make it work) because iTunes already use Quicktime for media
playback.

However, if/when Apple decide to make iTunes an official video podcast
client I think you will see a real "snobbish" attitude for the reasons
Steve points to. I just don't think what you're seeing now is due to
snobbery, that's all.

- Andreas
--
<URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>