Okay, first the easy part.  Both of those clips - the 3ivx and the H.264 - should be fine on the iPod. (I'm still waiting to receive mine)

Settings.  Let me start with H.264.
Video
320 X 240
15fps
Automatic keyframes
restrict bit rate to 355kbits/sec
compressor quality high
Better quality (multi-pass)

Audio
Format - AAC
Sample rate 24 kHz
Bit rate 24kbps

Fast Start enabled

On to 3ivx
It's fairly easy to hit a target bit rate when you are using dual pass encoding.  Since the 3ivx dual pass doesn't work correctly with QuickTime 7, I've been using single pass.  That's a little more of a black art.  This clip in particular was really difficult to encode well because it has constant motion and tons of tiny details - trees, fence, polls, etc.

So my settings (didn't write them down) were something like:
320 X 240
15fps,
limit data rate to 350kbs
compressor quality - medium
options - single pass average bit rate
maximum quality 50% ?
minimum quality 5%?
keyframes every 300 delta frames
half pixel motion, four vector motion, & adaptive quantization - ON

Audio was set just like the H.264 clip.

The thing about trying to hit a low bit rate with the single pass 3ivx is that you'll have to adjust those settings with each clip.  Alternatly you can use the "constant bit rate" encoding instead of average bit rate.  That will make it easier to hit your target but you could end up spening too bits on video that doesn't need it and too little on problem areas.

Give that a try,
-Verdi