I'm planning to get a new camcorder but I am on a strict budget,
meaning that if I don't have the cash I can't buy it.  I have a bunch
of computer video magazines I'm plowing through.

I want to like the JVC Everio GZ-MG30U with that 30GB hard drive and
25x zoom but according to CNet the battery life is crap.
http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_Everio_GZ_MG30U/4505-6494_7-31417996-2.html?tag=nav
I have concerns about the video quality as well. I don't like the idea
of shooting in Mpeg-2.

I do think that you should get a camcorder with firewire, if it has
USB connector fine but I don't think that is something to yield on.

I'm leaning more to the Panasonic line like the PV-GS35. 30x optical
zoom, good video quality for the price, (under $450) and shoots in
mini dv format. The battery life is rated at 3 hours.

The only bummers is that they don't kick in the firewire cable and
there is a question about image stabilizing in the device. But the
price is really good. I'm biased because I have a Panasonic still
camera and even at 2 megapixels it shoots great with that Leica lens.

I'm still looking over other candidates. I really would like to stay
with a palm sized camcorder. I don't like it when people become
"frozen" if they see a "real camcorder", but I might not have a
choice. I want and need at least 10x optical zoom and a camera that
records sounds properly w/o the motor in the background.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV-GS35/4505-6500_7-31307022.html?tag=ms

CNet does have a page that gets folks up to speed on the type of
camera that you might want to consider
http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/4520-7607_7-1023271-1.html?tag=dir

Camcorder Info has a bunch of good stuff to drool over
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

For price comparisons and article links to prosumer lines you might
want to check out http://videomaker.pricegrabber.com/home_photo.php/lnk=3

Hope this helps,
Gena  http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com