Creative Commons licenses deal with far more than just redistribution
of works.

Linking is one thing, embedding is quite another. The content creator
has the absolute right to deny people permission to embed the work
files in their own websites etc.

If you publically display the work, you need to check whether you have
the rights to do so. Under most CC licenses you have the right to do
so as long as it is not for profit, as long as you give proper
attribution to the author, and as long as you make the terms of the
license clear.

There are websites that do none of those things. They clearly ignore
the rights of the creator. I do not need a lawyer to spot some very
clear violations, though there are grey areas too.

There are some people who use CC licenses who dont follow the terms
properly either and probably invalidate their own license before
theyve even started.

Syndicating content should not imply that the creator has given up any
of their rights. Syndication does pose a technical issue in terms of
sticking to the requirement to include the CC license or URI wherever
the work is shown/with every copy of the work. The easiest way round
it is if people include cc info in the video itself, because even
though CC RSS feed thing exists, not enough aggregators etc make use
of it.

Maybe Im wrong, Im always ready to be persuaded otherwise, but if you
read the full versions of any CC license it surely isnt as limited as
you suggest?

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Gonze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>