Oh, for sure, it's easy to make SOME differenciation. Except for
jackasses like me with 4 machines, with 3 different OS' and 4 different
aggregators. I presume the level of jackassness is on par with mine,
too, which is why subscribers=1 in anything I throw together. =)

David Meade wrote:

>On 11/12/05, Brad Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>The short answer to this is.. unique IPs that hit multiple times over
>>the last 24 hour period. That's what I can determine to be feedburner's
>>technique.
>>
>>That, at least, is how I'm going to be doing the calculation. =)
>>
>>It doesn't account for aggregators that cache, NAT'd IPs, or anything of
>>the like. But without some kind of cookie-ing system, you're probably
>>not going to be able to do that.
>>

>Well there is some other stuff you can take into account.
>
>for example lets say I have 3 subscribers behind the same IP address ...
>
> user A requests feed with ip addess 10.10.10.10 with agent=iTunes for windows
>   -- > subscribers=1
>
> user a requests the feed again one hour later with itunes for windows
>   -- > counted as the same user. subscribers=1
>
>User B then 1 hour later requests feed with ip address 10.10.10.10
>with agent = fireant for windows
>  -- > Here we have to make a choice.  Do I count this as a new
>subscriber assuming there are more than one people behind this
>address, or do I count this as the same user assuming he has two
>aggrigators installed.  Up to you, but in my system I count it as the
>same user (I try to fall to the side of too strict).  So in my system
>... counted as the same user subscribers=1  (I've just lumped two
>people together perhaps)
>
>User C then requests the feed from ip 10.10.10.10 with agent=fireant for Mac
> --> this time we see that it's a macintosh OS where as the last from
>this IP was a windows install.
>  --> Here I go ahead and make the assumption that this is in fact a
>different user, as it is very cleraly a different machine (even though
>its from the same IP)  subscribers=2
>

>So as above, you'd have 3 users with the same IP address.  In my
>system it would count them as 2 ...
>
>I could have counted them as 3, but I made the rule that lumps some
>together because I'd rather lose one here and there than gain 3
>because of people like me who have Fireant, iTunes, and thunderbird
>all pinging away.
>
>IP address is important
>HTTP user agent can also give you great information such as:
>  * client application
>  * client OS (sometimes)
>  * number of users that this requests services (sometimes)
>

>- Dave
>--
>http://www.DavidMeade.com

Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
51 W. Third Street, #301
Tempe, AZ 85281