If you're on Mac, check out Flip4Mac plugin for Quicktime. It is
totally worth it.
You can encode WMV and also play and edit WMV using QT player/pro.

As for importance of having multiple file formats, I think its a nice
to have, but not a need to have. Depends on your goals and your
intended audience.

-Josh

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM