there is no conclusive answer to this question, which is great news for
lawyers
for one thing, this can cut across and into international laws
for another, just try to define words like "legal", "use", "videos" and
"mainstream" in this context.  i think you will find that difficult.

some artists have control, but many do not
some "mainstream" companies are open to this, some are not

I know of a rather small company that recent obtained the rights to
1000's of mainstream releases for use in podcasts.  No cost.  Why?
Because they hope to sell the songs to people who listen to the
podcasts.  Imagine that.  A ray of hope.

Does that mean you can use those songs too?  Not necessarily (probably
not).  So maybe a thin ray of hope.

Ryanne recently shared these sources:

examples of use of cc licensed music!

http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/2005/07/path.html

http://www.noservicecharge.com/videoblog/2005/08/obvious.html

pod safe music network
http://music.podshow.com/

Trying to identify companies that allow use of music can be
challenging.  Be aware of Erin's hard won experiences with Freeplay:

markus

Khoo, Joan wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I was hoping you could help me conclusively answer if it is legal to use
>mainstream music in videos.
>
>And if it depends on the artist/producers/company then how do we
>identify the companies that allow us to use their music in their videos?
>
>Joan
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links
>

>.

http://apperceptions.org