Hmmm ... for some reason I cant resist the chance to imagine how the post apocalyptic Internet would be ... :-P

Well Ham radio operators have been networking computers over radio waves for a long time.  I actually saw this done before I ever saw "the Internet".  Post apocalyptic scenario ... I'd imagine you'd see Ham Radios spring up quite quickly (actually they're already there ... but you'd see them become hubs of communication quite quickly).  There is a well documented and pretty robust "emergency message relay" system on short wave.  Stations would operate in all sorts of modes, including computers.

(random crazy thoughts follow...)

With the given that we'd have electricity somehow (some sort of generator would have to work)... regular wired Local Area Networks would pop up easily enough, I suppose.   They'd probably use regular Wireless Access Points to inter-network with other small LANs in the immediate area as needed.  Each of these smaller LAN would probably schedule their availability ... a few hours at a time so as to reserve power and bandwidth.  They'd probably use mostly text (email/usenet style systems) to pass along vital information from one pocket of survivors to the next ... why waste valuable time/fuel for the network up-time needed to send a video message when text would take only a fraction of the time (not to mention the bandwidth that other networks might be waiting on in order to pass a message).

One of these LANs would ideally have a Ham Radio Relay Station and it could act as a gateway to other HAM stations in distant metropolitan areas.  Messages from one small network to another could be routed via short wave radio (which has extremely large range) to the nearest Ham Radio Relay station.

Small LANs in wireless range of their local Ham Radio Relay station, could snyc up with the gateway during their scheduled up-time ... stations further out would have to have their messages trickle down to them over a period of time.

The number of HAM relay stations I imagine would grow quite quickly such that each major area of population would have many gateways soon.

Eventually someone would figure out how to get the satellite Internet services to work again (I imagine there would be some initial outage as their ground based ISP goes dark?) and then there'd be even more global gateways than just the HAM nets.

All of this would, I expect, be used mostly to marshal resources between survivor groups.

Things would get ever more reliable and real-time as the infrastructure is rebuilt ... assuming there is enough food/water for that to matter.

As long as the air wasnt toxic, the climate tolerable, we could find food and water, and generate electricity for at least short periods of time ...
     ... we'd be vlogging again in no time.  :-P

- Dave

--
http://www.DavidMeade.com