Okay, so lots of good discussion about formats. Some backstory first.

When Apple came out with Quicktime 7, I was annoyed because it seemed that with
the
3ivx codec, they took away the ability to encode it with MPEG4 audio and
replaced it AAC.
Now many vloggers I know (I'll use Steve for example) held out and stayed with
Quicktime
6. Remember, Apple sorta goofed on the first 7.0 release and some compatibility
issues
plagued us until they came out with 7.01.

Good news is that all the videos I made with 3ivx (mpeg/aac) were automatically
ipod
video-ready. That was the SWEETEST accident ever! So, yay for 3ivx.

So on to h.264... no shortage of conversation there--- many folks decided that
3ivx was
*good enough* and stuck with it, seeing only minor differences in quality, and
improved
encoding/processing time. H264 works as well, but takes forever to encode.

Fast forward to today. I've got the first of two HD cameras in my arsenal and I
couldn't (in
the time I had to work with it) get 3ivx to give me the quality I was looking
for. Also, I
wasn't interested in waiting for H264 video to encode.

We had this quicktime-to-ipod format which had its voodoo extension show up
when the
ipod video was announced.

What I discovered in my tests:
Outputting to the M4V was uber fast and low file size. By A LOT. Since so much
traffic
comes from iTunes (and they feature my videoblog from time to time) I said to
hell with it
and made those videos m4v's.

When I had more time to encode when I got back from travelling, I found that I
*could* get
3ivx to maintain a reasonable quality for the footage I shot in HD, although
the file sizes
were a bit awkward (my last video is 6 minutes, 480x272, HIGH with auto bitrate
= 122
MB. ouchie) H264 didn't give me much better results or quality.

So, in short, publishing to M4V was a shortcut that sorta worked, minus the
brain fart I
had with editing the wrong server's MIME type. It was fast, had good quality
and I might
revisit it sooner, but in all actuality, I'll prolly do as much as I can to
mimic those settings
in 3ivx to kick out .MOV files for all general podcast applications.

Cheers,

Eric
http://ericrice.com
Coming soon: the Epsilon Construct

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How absolutely embarrassing. All of that trouble I was having with MIME types
> (m4v
thread)
> was a PEBKAC issue (problem exists between keyboard and chair).
>
> I spent all this time trying to edit the MIME types on backstaging.com to no
> avail-- the
videos
> would STILL not work. I suppose that's because the video files don't live
> there, they live
on a

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM