The first movers in any social network have an advantage over
latecomers. That said, there's a fair amount of vloggers who started
around when the folks discussed here started, and they don't get as
much attention. Why do these folks get more attention? For the most part:

a) They crank out good videos often.
b) They are deeply involved in the social aspects of videoblogging
(teaching, linking, commenting, reviewing, writing vlog related books,
doing vlog related public speaking, creating tools for the vlog
community, setting up forums for interaction, organizing conferences).
c) And yes, journalists are looking for the biggest bang for the least
effort, so once people get established as "good," there's a bias
toward referencing them in news stories--it's easy, and does the job
for the journalist.
d) Since people can't do much about c) vloggers who are looking for
media glory should focus on doing a) and b). Or...
e) Relax, get a life, make a few videos now and then, and not freak
out about being a star.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM