you cant do multi pass with the videora converter.

On 1/20/06, Christopher Ivanyi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've tried this one a number of times, but it just does not compare in
sharpness, and size to the auto export to iPod (320x240).

But this may all be mute, if in fact that 7.0.4 does not do a
multi-pass.  I have not tried it yet, but I have a sneaky feeling that
the quality will drop with the single pass.  Which means getting back
to 7.0.3 somehow.

Thanks Steve, you always come through...

Chris

ps I have yet to try iSquint, or Divx for that matter.

> Export to mpeg4
> Video type: H264
> bitrate: about 700kbits/sec
> frame rate same as source
> Key frame: dunno, experiment
> press 'video options' button:
> Untick Main, tick Baseline
> Choose Best quality or Faster Encode (see below)*
>
> Audio:
> AAC-LC (Music)
> 128 kbps
> rest of audio settings probably dont matter much
>

> *Apple made some ipod export changes with qt7.0.4 compared to 7.0.3.
> Based on encoding times, I believe QT7.0.3 ipod export used multi-pass
> mode (so better quality) but Apple were getting stick for how slow the
> export was, so in QT7.0.4 theyve changed it to Single-Pass to stop
> encoding times being too depressing. Take your pick.
>
> Hoe that helps a little, if you are on a Mac then consider trying
> alternative encoders like iSquint to see if you prefer the quality, if
> you are on Windows there are other options too.
>
> Steve of Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "civanyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Question:  Had anyone had any luck replicating the sharpness, and
> file size of the export
> > to iPod 320x240 function, but by doing it manually?
> >
> > I have found the quality, and file size of "export" to iPod
> (320x240) to be very appealing,
> > with one exception, the stretch factor.  Why does Apple not take
> into consideration the
> > rectangular pixels of the 720x480 format, and make them square to a
> true 320x240 size,
> > not 320x213?
> >
> > Because every time I have tried a manual compression from DV to
> 320x240, the image is
> > just not as sharp, and the file sizes are larger than the standard
> export to iPod 320-x240.
> > And I have tried a variety of compressions.
> >
> > I have tried making a self-contained 720x480 DV NTSC movie into a
> 640x480 DV NTSC
> > movie.   Then, I have done a variety of manual compressions, m4v,
> mp4, mov, with Video,
> > or Sorenson 3, or MPEG$ settings.  (The h.264 is definitely the best
> in quality and size).
> > But again, none of the manual compression schemes come up to the
> quality of the
> > automatic export to iPod (320x240)
> >
> > I have also tried going directly to 320 x 240 DV NTSC from 720x480,
> and worked a variety
> > of manual compressions, but to no avail.
> >
> > I am curious to know if others have had similar experiences.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Yahoo! Groups Links

i was crying my ass off long before it was cool be to be emo...