I just tried iSquint - that's a fantastic solution for Mac users. You can set the bit rate for the video and the audio - fast start works, syncs to iPod. Fast started in Firefox on my PC.
So, is iSquint doing the encoding without using the Quicktime software that's built in to the OS? Why would Quicktime be unable to do this?
-Verdi