Coincidence. I'm a fan of blip, and some others too. And as you were
composing you message, Nathan, I was checking, coincidentally, the last
40 or so uploads on blip and was bored out of my tired mind. Arggh! I'm
glad I didn't download any of them. I closed each one I clicked within
a few seconds, never even reaching the midpoint. This comment has
nothing to do with blip and everything to do with discovering content.

As I read your comments, below, it became crystalline we need better
methods for discovering media we want to watch.

For any who missed it, Nathan's propped filtering concept, keywords.
I'm guessing it will still suck bandwidth unnecessarily. BTW Nathan and
all), the following is constructive commentary, my heart is in the
right place on this, trust me.

I remember vloggercon 2005 (during the blizzard in NYC last year) when
Fireant was revealed to the group. The idea of having everything on
your hard drive was insanely brilliant then. No waiting, no extra
clicking, the cost savings appeared fantastic. Then a funny thing
happened, a lot of people started putting video on blogs with RSS
feeds.

The a funnier thing happened, it became impossible to watch all of the
media downloaded. The foie gras effect (tm) on my hard drive was
damaging to not only my calendar but to my storage resources. The
bandwidth issue was relatively invisible, though it was undeniably real
though unseen in the short term, like the the economics of owning a
horse it eats while you sleep.

Bittorrent-like technology can move around the bandwidth costs for
producers however it does nothing re helping me not get video I don't
want to see. And to address the concept introduced earlier this week,
it doesn;t solve the out-of-context problem. Go look at the vlog of
someone you watch more than once. I'll use Daniel Liss and Erik Nelson
for this example.

When you go to these blogs you experience each work as part of a body
of work, you see the design of their blog, you see the comments of
others, you relate. When you watch a video on Daniel's blog itself you
smile easier, you relate. Okay, maybe I'm not the typical video consume
but I go for experience.

It's like the difference between Nobu and Go Sushi, in on instance you
can linger and enjoy, in the other you chow down and that's that. Yeah,
it's like fast food using an aggregator, I've learned it's not for me.
But again there's a market for FF and you can't argue with the business
of the FF providers and I very much support Fireant and Nathan's
project.

Bandwidth is not the issue re asset discovery, though it is re ecology.
RSS isn't inherently 3vil (Down Weagel, down. Sit.), though it is when
deployed to fatten hard drives.

Keywords may be part of it, but I don't think it's sufficient, I'd
expect false positives and omissions to be problematic. The collective
and collaborative brainpower in this group can, I'm sure, come up with
an answer as to how to get the right stuff (call it "project right
stuff" in a new thread if you have ideas) into a feed.

My $ 0.02 this fine morning. Perhaps I'll have clearer thoughts later,
sorry if this was rambling.

cheers