good thoughts.  thanks for sharing them.  i think this topic will have much relevance this year... and hopefully we can get some solutions out.

i must try out newest I/ON.  look forward to your next release then.

this partial, ahead of time cacheing could be interesting.

definately!

like Robert, I have come to learn that my preferred way of consuming vlogs is via the web and email.  I use all sorts of tools but its for my experimentation and learning.... keeping up with technology.  But as a typical user.... i dont find myself using software to casually consume media..... well, besides my web browser of course.

there are times when i want to download an entire channel...for synching to my portable media player if i am going to commute... or if i plan to remix media for a project..  what i actually do in these cases is run the java applet on vlogdir which is a download manager.... it discovers all the enclosures and  quickly copies them to my puter.  this is convenient for me... can be used on any puter with nothing to install (assuming you can run java applets).  it also lets me pick media a la carte style if i dont want all of the channel downloaded.... and can auto-resume.  not perfect, but it works for a guy like me who only occasionally needs to grab a video or full channel to a specified location on my puter.  otherwise i just watch using my browser.

i find that when i do use a desktop media aggregator, my habits are the same as if i were on the web.... i pick a video here and there and download... usually need to wait a bit before it plays...same as web.  since my style is inherit in me.... i dont reap the full benefits of a desktop aggregator which i feel is the ability to schedule downloads when I am not focused on the app.... but this benefit is not one i always need or desire... as robert mentioned too.  and looping back to my original thought... it could be wasting bandwidth.

also like robert, even though most vlogs use basic templates.... it is nice to experience everything in context of the creators 'home'.  especially when the site itself is well-designed or has other interesting content such as a flickr photo block, a blogroll, a profile etc.  i'm more satisfied with my experience when i am on the web itself.  when this can easily transfer to TV... then i would be more comfortable with that platform.  Its coming....

i feel the need to say that I think software like FA and all the rest.... including I/ON... are awesome... needed.... and useful.   i am only speaking of my opinion here and my evolved approach to navigating within the vlogosphere.  i get vlogs in my gmail and i browse directories and i browse the web.  when needed, i use a file download applet on the web.... and occasionally i use all the different desktop media aggregators... mainly for staying tuned on the tech of it.

i was using FA tonight and found myself playing more vids in the FA directory heheh.  then i thought... wait i just downloaded this vid.... should I queue it and download it again just in case i want to watch it again?  with this bandwidth topic on my mind... i chose not to ;-)  maybe i'm just feeling the vlog clog since blip has seemed like IA lately.... we do need BitTorrent to become a hot topic again here... it used to be.  died down though.  Also... i still kinda like the dijjer.org project and similar projects.

enough out of me.

sull

On 2/16/06, Nathan Freitas < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am going to jump in on this thread (a rare thing!)....

Michael Sullivan wrote:

> this undesirable scenario would prob be more likely with the plethora
> of what i call 'orphaned feeds' that some directories store.  these
> are typically feeds that services generate....based on tags, user
> uploads, meta-feeds etcetera.  they are channels without any true
> parent... that is to say they are not vlog projects managed and created

I am a big fan of the blip.tv general feed, as I get to see a great
cross-section of what's being produced out there in the "participatory
culture". It's not quite as wide a range as say youtube, but its still
pretty diverse and the quality is quite high. However, if i chose to
auto-download every enclosure in that feed, I would be quickly
overwhelmed and waste lots of bandwidth. I've been thinking a lot about
how you can bridge the auto-download vs. no-download approach, and
basically I think some sort of partial, ahead of time cacheing could be
interesting. I know there are some commercial streaming video
applications already doing this. You figure out which content the viewer
might like to watch, and then cache the first minute of it, so that
playback starts immediately. Over time, perhaps, the application could
build a model of what to cache, how much, etc. Just ramblings for now,
but an approach that, if implemented right, could enable a great user
experience that is also efficient.

> by people with an intention, a genre, an actual audience..... produced
> by the content creator(s).... videoblogs ;-)  rboom, apperceptions,
> pouringdown, dltq etc. where you have a good idea of the content you
> are going to get and you are subscribed because you generally like it,
> trust it or are at least giving it a chance before you unsubscribe.

So, another idea I've had, and that works in I/ON (or at least in a soon
to be released version), is that you can subscribe to a bunch of feeds,
but only download content that matches certain keywords or other
criteria. That way you can keep an eye on blip, but only download
content regarding "food" or "brooklyn" (two of my favorite topics).

> if people download then filter/discard instead of the opposite.... we
> got a wasted bandwith problem.  again, i am not faulting the software.
> just a thought in my head....

finally, my third thought, is that using bittorrent or a similar
protocol would mean that people could autodownload, and then become
nodes themselves, causing the bandwidth of the original host not to be
wasted at all. basically, if we can figure out how to make true p2p
dead-simple for desktop aggregators, then we get the best of both worlds
- quick start, no buffering playback, ability to sync to mobile players
*and* reduction in bandwidth headaches for content distributors.

> thoughts on this speculation?  i should go fix my leaky faucet now.

those are my thoughts. drip drip.

+nathan