André here, from TVTonic, the video aggregator featured in Windows
Media Center's Online Spotlight.  I have contacted many of you about
having listed your feeds in our directory.  The TVTonic client uses
Microsoft BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) to download
video content.  Videobloggers seeing traces of BITS in their stats
could possibly be seeing TVTonic users pulling their videos, however
they could also be coming from other RSS clients, such as the RSS
reader built in to IE7 which uses BITS.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2006/02/02/522642.aspx

BITS is the technology that Microsoft uses to deliver Windows
Automatic Updates.  As Markus said, it is a component designed to
control and throttle background downloads as not to make any large
resource hit on a user's computer.

But the problem, it seems, with BITS is that it makes a substantial
number of webserver requests.  If you look at your server log you
might think that BITS is hammering your bandwidth because of the high
number of requests.  This is because it is making requests to the
server for small chunks of a file rather than one request for the
whole file itself.  Once it has collected all of the bits of a file,
it marks it as being finished and makes the file available to the
user.

We have actually started to see several servers block requests from
the BITS useragent.  Revision3's servers (Diggnation & Systm), as well
as Channel Frederator, to name a few.  Recently we've started to see
some strange messages get returned from libsyn.  FYI – we are
contacting the blip developers to see if there is a way we can work
together to ensure their users are receiving less confusing stats.
I'll keep everyone posted.

I hope that clarifies this BITS issue for many of you.  Please feel
free to contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have more questions.

Sincerely,

André Sala
TVTonic Team