The server hardware largely determines how many simultaneous
connections can be handled, so CPU, RAM, hard drive setup start to
become big factors. Theres also options in webserver config files for
how many simultaneous connections are allowed, and how many
connections to database are allowed. Efficiency of server-side code,
database queries etc really starts to get important.

A real busy forum which has hundreds of people browsing simultaneously
is a classic example of something that can expose this problem, many
years before AJAX came along.

I dont think AJAX in general will suffer from such problems, just
certain uses of AJAX where the developers havent thought this stuff
through properly. Where AJAX is used to respond to user pressing
buttons, datagrids, stuff like that, I think things will balance out
ok (more connections but less bandwidth used per request). Wheras its
likely to be more problematic if AJAX is being used to automatically
refresh data at a very high frequency. Still boils down to how many
people are using the service simultaneously though.

I havent had much chance to do any AJAX stuff yet, so the above is not
an opinion well-founded by real world experience.

Steve of Elbows