--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I used to think this. But I'm getting away from it now. I like long
> videos if they are compelling. Drivetime is a good one that is long,
> as is The Pan. Nathan Miller has been posting 10 minute episodes
> lately and it's still not long enough for my wife, who is not a
> techie or a big vlog watcher. Also I wish "This or That" would stop
> cutting up theirs into 5 minute chunks and post entire shows. But
> maybe it's a bandwidth issue for them. And I've been toying with the
> idea of switching to a longer format too.

As someone who posts 10-13 minute episodes/week, I can see the
positive angle of having shorter posts.  Although it's nice to have a
show format, some people don't like downloading such large files... I
know a lot of technophobes who freak out when they notice something
downloading to their computer without their permission.  As a result,
I think it's easier to reach a wider audience if you have a shorter
vlog.

> I also think that the demand for longer video blog posts will go up
> as more people start to watch them on their TV's--and that's
> starting to happen as more people plug Mac Minis and Windows Media
> Centers into their tubes.

I agree... I'm sure the demand will go up as more people start to
watch them on their TVs, but a few problems we will face is hosting,
size/speed of download and content (with amateur video, it's more
entertaining to deliver a certain amount of content in a smaller
period of time than to drag it out... only Sergio Leone truly knew how
to drag out the moment without boring people to death!).

It would really suck if videoblogs became so lengthy that they started
being more like podcasts... two guys talking about stuff and drinking
beers in front of a camera.  I think part of the attraction of
videoblogs is that they _are_ usually quite brief and to the point
(not unlike Samurai doctrine).  Perhaps once advertizing makes more of
its way into videoblogging there will be more of a demand (and a
realistically funded way) to create longer shows.

The hardest part of making my show so long is not the amount of work
that is involved... it's that I have to work a full time job to
support the 'hobby'.  If funding was provided, making a longer show
would be easy.

Kitka
http://www.kitkast.com/