On 3/15/06, Caution Zero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-
which seems to me to be "since there isn't enough good
CC music in the world, the law should let me take
whatever i want from whomever i want", and that is
conceptually problematic.

I don't expect the law ever to do that, nor would I consider it fair. Artists have a right to decide how their music gets used. If and when someone asks me to take down any of my videos because they don't like my use of their music, I will certainly do so, though I firmly believe that my use is not doing the artists any harm and may even give them some useful publicity (I tend to use music not currently popular). But of course they would have the right to disagree with me.

What I would like to see is a mechanism in place that any artist who wishes to can participate in, which allows me to use music as stock photography is used, as Gottadiva describes. The way things are now, it is prohibitively expensive for everyone except the really big players to use the really big music _legally_. I ran across an article a few months ago about the problems professional documentary filmmakers have with music in their films, even when the music occurs "naturally" in the environment they're filming, e.g. a ringtone.

All that said, I just did a count and find that I have around 70 videos which involve no music except what was already there (e.g., sing-alongs at home, parades and other public events). I have deliberately added music to only 13 or so of my videos, and in most cases the music is mixed in with the original sound such that you could not strip it out and get a clean audio track, and/or is edited.

"CC is a nascent movement;
of course it doesn't suit every need right now.  but
the likelihood that CC could grow as a popular
movement into the sort of thing that suits your/our
needs is much greater in my opinion than the
likelihood that the united states congress is going to
suddenly have an a-ha moment, ignore entertainment
industry lobbying groups, and magically stop
repressing remix culture."

Until Napster, there was little pressure on the music industry to lower its prices (up to $30 for a single CD in Europe!) or improve its distribution methods or even face the fact that a lot of people don't like so-called popular music. Now there's a solution that I think everyone can agree on (iTunes et al), but I doubt this solution would have arrived without consumer pressure to let us have what we want, how we want it - and then we're willing to pay a fair price for it.

It seems to me the same could happen with remix culture. It shouldn't be legal for people to use anything in any way they wish. But if the industry and the artists were willing to meet us halfway... they might even find whole new sources of revenue they never imagined.

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.beginningwithi.com (personal)