On 3/27/06, Amir Michail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some people might find this interesting.  Perhaps they do something
> similar. Perhaps they might give you a few tips. It's interesting to
> see how people use their computers.

I certainly agree there: studying usability would definitely be one of
the applications.

> One area with a lot of potential is to reveal how creative people
> work.  How exactly does a novelist spend his time?  Is most of it
> productive? Or does writer's block dominate? Perhaps much time is
> spent on rewriting? How does a novelist keep track of things exactly?

I have had similar requests (because that's my job-- not novels, which
i write in my downtime, but books, which is why I'm awake at nearly 1
AM right now). Writing doesn't make very good video, though. The
majority of my screen is either me flipping between email, IM, MS
Word, iMovie, and Mozilla, or hunkered down in MS Word, or doing
screen shots of iMovie or QuickTime. From an outside-the-screen
perspective, I haven't moved anything but my hands in the last 3
hours, except to pick up a cup of coffee, so video of me writing is
largely of a bleary-eyed woman with bad posture, staring at a computer
screen. Hollywood is beating down my door, really.

Most of my time is productive, but that's only if you acknowledge the
procrastination as being productive. For instance, today I cleaned out
a fish tank and set up another tank in my office. And vacuumed. These
activities have nothing to do with the book, but if I didn't do them,
I'd go crazy. I'm already crazy, but even moreso. They are also not
writer's block, per se-- I *can* write, I just don't want to at that
moment.

Rewriting is a phase I enter into AFTER the big heavy first draft work
is done. For me, it's easier than the first draft, but I tend to
produce fairly good initial drafts. Other writers are very different
in this regard. My first draft of fiction varies widely-- one novel
may be terrible, while another may be almost revisable.

I keep track of non-fiction using notes on my computer, scattered
around the computer, in my email inbox, and my printed outline. For
the fiction notes, I have a tracking database in the software I use to
write novels, which keeps a database of characters and places and
outlines for me and such-- very handy stuff. Every writer is different
in this, though. I participate in NaNoWriMo each year-- that at least
makes good video, since we tend to get together in groups and write in
cafes, where there's more human interaction.

And every novel is different, too-- each novel teaches you how to
write a novel. sadly, it only teaches you how to write *that* novel,
so when you go to write another one, you are back to square one.

Personally, I find other art media, like drawing/cartooning, crafts,
sculpture, etc., to be much more visualy interesting.

> I see this partly as an experiment in learning about human nature.  I
> want to know how other people think.  I want to get into their heads.

Yes, but what's the advantage to the person broadcasting?

--
Stephanie Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]