I have the same setup as Stephanie though I've also used it often for converting VHS also. I'll run a VCR into the analog imputs of the camera and record the video to DV (some cameras don't make you do this - they just pass the video on through to firewire). Then play back the DV and capture with FCP (or iMovie, etc.).
-Verdi

On 4/8/06, Devlon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/7/06, Stephanie Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  My Sony Handicam takes Hi8 and Digital8. To get the Hi-8 tapes onto
>  the hard drive, I put them in the Handicam and import in iMovie like
>  normal, via firewire. The main difference from my standpoint is that
>  you have to manually press play on the camcorder: iMovie can't send
>  the play command for you.
>
>  I haven't noticed the same synching problem that Anne reports, though
>  I don't have a lot of movies in Hi-8.

I think the main problem is the capturing app we use.  It's cheap and
free and I may even have it misconfigured, but I've messed with it
plenty.  We now may have the means to pipe the anolog through a dv
camcorder and onto the pc via firewire.  I am curious to see if this
gets rid of the sync issues.

--
~Devlon
http://loadedpun.com | http://mefeedia.com