Hi Monique,

Although this doesn't directly answer your question, I came across a blog a
while ago that has a few DIY tips for recording sound.

http://postsound.blogspot.com/

While it won't help you directly it might provide a few helpful suggestions
or trigger some other thoughts about recording sound and improving sound
quality.

Wikipedia also has a good entry on microphones, that might help to determine
what kind of microphone best suits your needs. I.e. Omnidirectional,
cadioid, hyper-cardioid, bi-directional, shotgun.

We've been using a camera mounted shotgun microphone for our FEZ TV stuff.
We've recorded some interviews using radio microphones, (not yet edited) but
this was cause the guy who does camera is a sound recordist in his day job
and had the equipment on standby.

Daryl
http://feztv.blogspot.com