We may still be able to send email ... but if that's all we can do without paying a premium charge or per KB or something ... then its not like a comet hitting the Earth its like a comet hitting the Internet ... it'll be dead and gone.

Sure the Net Neutrality issue is in the US congress right now Andreas, but you are fooling yourself if you think that wont effect your experience.  Any network traffic that traverses the backbone of a US company would be influenced.

What if AT&T decides foreign browsers need to pay an tariff to access its bandwidth?

Most of the providers are, or to some level want to be, a media outlet as well.  (TimeWaner, Comcast, ... The Bells want in on media).  Why wouldn't each limit access to ituens so as to make their media outlet more attractive.

Without Net Neutrality the net becomes just a bunch of large ISPs paying tolls for that traffic it chooses to allow through .. .and that would hurt the entire global Internet community.

I mean lets talk nightmare scenerio for a sec:  What if political ideas contrary to the (theoretical) US administration were suddenly never heard by the masses because huge amounts of money from lobbyists allows for those ideas to get squashed?  God knows the mainstream media fails to cover all sorts of very important global issues here.  How ignorant of world affairs would US citizens be?  How long before US foreign policy gets a blank check with out so much as the general populace even knowing the issues?  That hurts more than just Americans too.

How long before ISPs in other countries - seeing the insain profits and control that US ISPs would gain from this - follow suit?

( And yeah Rhett my mesh network idea wouldn't have the bandwidth (at least at first) ... but it would only have to last long enough for the revolt to get underway :-P )

- Dave

--
http://www.DavidMeade.com
feed:  http://www.DavidMeade.com/feed