--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "LeanBackVids.com"
Hi Matt,

Seven percent is actually pretty good for an email list of more than
1,000 people. A few years ago I saw a study of email lists that
suggested the number of regular contributors was often less than five
percent.   Most lists tend to be dominated by a core 1% of users, with
another five percent posting occasionally, another 10 percent posting
rarely, and the rest pretty much never - the classic
contributor/lurker divide. I've been running a couple of e-lists for a
long time (wwwedu for 12 years, digitaldivide for six) and I'd guess
that the participation level is about the same. Some people have
posted multiple times a week for years, while others have been on the
list from the beginning and they've never posted. When I've surveyed
them, the response is always the same - I enjoy the conversation but
never feel the need to comment publicly.

Having said that, I'm shocked I'm in the top 10 contributors. I always
thought of myself as a lurker on this list. It's all relative, I guess.

andy

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I decided take a closer look at the use of this
> Yahoo Group.  Here are the results...
>
> The last 1,000 messages were analyzed from May 8, 2006 back to April
> 20, 2006 (18.5 days)...
>
> Only 152 unique users posted (7% of the total 2,179 members).
>
> Here are the top 50 users by number of posts...
>
> 80      Michael Sullivan
> 50      Devlon
> 43      Charles Iliya Krempeaux
> 39      David Meade
> 36      Markus Sandy
> 35      Deirdre Straughan
> 34      Michael Verdi
> 27      Andy Carvin
> 27      Casey McKinnon
> 24      robert a/k/a r
> 23      Anne Walk
> 21      Harold Johnson
> 20      Josh Leo
> 19      Joshua Kinberg
> 18      Enric
> 17      David Howell
> 17      Jen Simmons
> 17      Stephanie Bryant
> 16      andrew michael baron
> 15      Andreas Haugstrup
> 13      B Yen
> 13      Bill Streeter
> 13      Susan
> 12      Gena
> 12      Heath
> 11      jonny goldstein
> 11      usadutch2001
> 10      Ted Tagami
> 9      Chuck Olsen
> 9      Paul Knight
> 9      Steve Garfield
> 8      Jan
> 8      LeanBackVids.com
> 8      Mike Hudack
> 8      WWWhatsup
> 7      Josh Wolf
> 7      Randolfe Wicker
> 7      Richard (Show) Hall
> 7      Stan Hirson, Sarah J...
> 6      Adam Quirk
> 6      Jay dedman
> 6      Mike Moon
> 6      missbhavens1969
> 6      Nathan Freitas
> 6      Ron Watson
> 6      Ryan Ozawa
> 6      xicastmedia
> 5      greendesertpro
> 5      Michael Meiser
> 5      Monique Danielle
>
> The point of all this?  To validate my concerns...
>
> It is my opinion that this group is very closed off from the rest of
> the video blogging world.  Sure it is very tight-knit and friendly,
> but the group seems to have hovered around the 50-250 participating
> members since last year.  There must be a way to bridge the gap
> between all the other vloggers.
>
> Note: If you don't think the results are an accurate representation, I
> can analyze more data, but I believe that the trend will be the same.
>
> -Matt
> http://vlogmap.org
> http://ridertech.com
> http://leanbackvids.com