Here in Hawaii, one Buddhist sect has merged the traditional Japanese "toro nagashi" rites (lantern offerings) with the American Memorial Day observance, and of course incorporated many Hawaiian traditions as well.  The dead are remembered -- ancestors, war dead, family members recently passed -- and are guided to the "shore of salvation" by paper lanterns bearing names and messages set adrift on the open ocean.

Even off Waikiki, with loud tourists (who seem to confuse a spiritual ceremony with a beer bash) and a huge, huge, crowd, this event never ceases to touch me deeply.  I vlogged it, and I'm inordinately pleased with how it turned out.  I invite you to share in this unique experience.

http://www.lightfantastic.org/imr/extras/videoblog/archives/2006/05/toro_nagashi.html

Neat Pearl Harbor vlog, David.  I like the newsreel introduction.  The Arizona Memorial... another place which, despite the crowds, is quite moving.

Ryan
HawaiiVog.com

Fireant Individual Typepad
Use Explains