--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sullivan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> whats a vlog again?

<wikipedia>
Vlog: A vlog or video blog is a blog (short for weblog) which uses
video as the primary content; the video is linked to within a
videoblog post and usually accompanied by supporting text, image, and
additional metadata to provide context.

Blog: A weblog (usually shortened to blog, but occasionally spelled
web log or weblog) is a web-based publication consisting primarily of
periodic articles, most often in reverse chronological order.
</wikipedia>

But is this new?... Video on the Internet has existed for years.  I
used to work for ESPN and we would post videos of the medal winning
runs at the X Games.  It was timely and cronological.  RSS was not
common at that time, but how was that not a vlog?  According to the
above definition, it was... and it was also the year 1999 (5 years
before vlogs were "invented").

So part of me does not view vlogging as something new.  In my opinion,
it is simply video over IP.  However, I do think RSS with media
enclosures is a huge changing factor.  Does that mean a vlog must have
RSS?  We've tackled this debate before and I'd argue it does not.
Another helping factor was the reduction in price for cameras and
bandwidth.

My point is that we didn't really have a name for video on the
Internet before, but now we are trying to label every type of video
with a single name.  I'm not sure it is possible or if everyone will
ever agree.

Matter of fact, I'm not even sure it matters.  Video is video.  Your
method of consumption will probably be labeled by the device you
choose to watch it on.

--
Matt
http://www.vlogmap.org